usual suspects
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

usual suspects

Forum for Petrol Heads

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Track Day Preparation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
K9ng
I talk far too much shit
I talk far too much shit
K9ng

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Track Day Preparation Empty
PostSubject: Track Day Preparation   Track Day Preparation Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 4:24 am

Track Day Preparation
Modern cars are designed and tested on tracks but they are not used to the extra stresses
of TrackDays. There are a few things you should do to prepare your car for going on Track
to make sure it, and you, survive in one piece!

Servicing
TrackDays take a lot out of the car and so should be serviced on a more regular routine to the
standard service schedule. Typically you should perform an oil change every 3000 miles.

Brakes and Discs
Brakes and Discs need to be in top condition when pushing your car to its limits. Brake fluid
and condition of pads and discs need to be considered – If you are in any doubt get them checked
by a professional. If pads need to be changed the pads that you have time to bed them in well
before taking to the track (min 100 miles use). Many regular TrackDay enthusiasts upgrade
the pads, disks and brake fluid they use which on top of improving track performance, will
also make your car safer for the road.

Tyres
It is important that tyres are in very good condition and set at the right pressures. There is no
specific setting as it will be determined by the make of car and the make of tyre, also the track conditions and your own personal preference. Many people choose to increase the pressure
by around 10% and find that tyre wear is less of a problem. Some vehicles find increased grip
from lowering the pressure, maybe only on one axle. The trick is to check the pressures are even
side to side and check them when they are at track temperatures. You should make any
adjustments at the track and return the tyres to normal road pressures before you leave. Try
not to use new tyres as it will heat the tread up speeding the wear and give less grip.

Engine
On a TrackDay your engine will be under more stress and strain and your engine will spend
more time at high revs than ever before. Make sure that all the filters and belts are in good
order and pay particular attention to the oil level. Bring spare oil with you, as it is normal for
an engine to “burn” some during a TrackDay. Keep an eye on the level during the day keeping
it close to or at the max but be careful not to overfill. Upgrading the oil to one that can
handle higher temperatures is a good idea.

Overall Car Condition
Make sure that all suspension and steering parts are in good working order and all body
work is firmly attached to the car.

Internals
Make sure that all loose items are removed from the car before you attend a TrackDay – Also
consider removing everything from the boot of the car too, such as the spare wheel and tools,
there is usually somewhere to keep things at an event while you are on the track. Loose
items can become lethal projectiles so make sure you are 100% safe.

Tool Kit
Consider bringing a simple tool kit with you just in case you need to do minor fixes/changes
to your car. Part of this kit should include a tyre pressure gauge and pump.

Fuel
When on track you need to keep an eye on your fuel level – you will use a lot more than
you realize, typically around 10mpg!
Back to top Go down
https://usualsuspects.forumotion.com
Skang
Not Posting fast enough to have a worthy name
Not Posting fast enough to have a worthy name

Number of posts : 38

PostSubject: Re: Track Day Preparation   Track Day Preparation Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 4:42 am

wow, we are an intelligent lot on here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jane
I talk far too much shit
I talk far too much shit
Jane

Number of posts : 111

PostSubject: Re: Track Day Preparation   Track Day Preparation Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 5:05 am

There's preparation for track days Shocked

J
Back to top Go down
K9ng
I talk far too much shit
I talk far too much shit
K9ng

Number of posts : 138

PostSubject: Re: Track Day Preparation   Track Day Preparation Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 5:45 am

Yes, wallet, keys, helmet oh and JD Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://usualsuspects.forumotion.com
Jet Slag
I talk far too much shit
I talk far too much shit

Number of posts : 102

PostSubject: Re: Track Day Preparation   Track Day Preparation Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2007 8:38 am

PS try not to "touch the sides" ,.......... NO! Heath, dont take that the wrong way!!!! elephant
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Track Day Preparation   Track Day Preparation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Track Day Preparation
Page 1 of 1